I often wonder as I stare at the photo of my ggGrandparents, JOHN & MARY DILLON, which hangs on the wall directly above my computer: "what would they make of all this genealogy research, this "snooping" I am doing into their past??"
One one hand, I like to think that their spirits, their "essences" are pleased with my quest; that by unearthing their secrets, their joys and their sorrows, their birth dates and their birth places and any other scrap of info I can find that pertains to their lives, I am somehow contributing to their immortality and possibly to my own. I live by the Dillon Family Motto " Dum Sprio Spero" translated from the Latin it reads " While I breathe, I hope.".
On the other hand, I have a sneaking suspicion that were they here with me today, they might just tell me to "Let it be" . "Let sleeping dogs lie" . or possibly "Be careful, you may get what you wish for".
They came from a famine ravished Ireland in 1849. They were Roman Catholics and as we know, RC's were persecuted because of their beliefs. They came to a country that offered them religious freedom and a chance for a better life if they were willing to work for it. Work they did and a fine life they made for themselves and their children. They spoke little if at all about their past , leaving no paper trail for future generations to follow. No tales of their beloved homeland. Was it indeed so beloved to them as we lead ourselves to believe?
Do we perhaps romanticize Ireland to such a degree that we forget that our people would most likely not have left had it been a great place to live ? We listen to the sweet music and envision ".....the land of Fairies and wondrous wishing wells". We celebrate St. Patty's Day in a more hearty way than they do in Ireland. We dream of the soft fields of clover, the soft Irish mist and a rainbow on every corner!! Possibly my grandparents had no such dreams but instead nightmares about hunger , humiliation and death. Possibly this is why they chose to close that painful Pandora's Box and and maybe not exactly throw away the key but certainly hide it in a deep dark place. Did they strive to hide their past in order to protect future generations from the pain and prejudice that haunted it?
I am not sorry that I started this quest and I will continue it. Had I not done this, I never would have learned as much as I have about the "why's". I would not have the deep love and respect for John & Mary Dillon that I do today. I draw strength from their courage and their optimism, their faith and their stamina against all odds.
I would like some feedback with your thoughts and opinions on this subject.
Ellen
www.gerisgenes.com
No comments:
Post a Comment